Chocolate Chip Nut Meal Muffins
Healthy eating is all the rage today, but it's not always easy to come up with a recipe to accomodate. This recipe is simple and quick and uses mostly raw ingredients.
The batter made from this recipe can be used for not only muffins, but pancakes and waffles alike. Whichever one you choose, the whole family will love them.
I will provide alternatives for some of the ingredients, and you can even try your own. Be creative and adventurous.
Obviously this recipe is not for individuals with nut allergies.
1 cup nut meal from raw nuts (can be one type or many types, eg almonds, cashews, pecans)
1 cup organic apple sauce
2 eggs , preferably grass fed
1/4 teaspoon organic pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional)
chocolate chips (gluten free, lactose free) (optional)
cocoa powder (as many as you like) or raw organic cocao nibs (1/2 tablespoon)
1. Grind up raw nuts with blender (I use magic bullet) and put in bowl
2. Mix in baking soda with nut meal
3 Peel apples (any red type preferably), cut up, removing core. The number of apples required will vary with the size of the apples. Use enough for 1 cup. Any extra can be stored in fridge for next batch. Next decide whether to boil or blend.
4. a) i) Boil apples for 15 minutes using enough water to cover bottom of pot.
ii) Mash with masher until smooth or chunk free.
iii) Pour cup of sauce into bowl
b) Blend apples in blender with eggs, vanilla extract, syrup, cocoa powder or nibs
5. Mix all ingredients in bowl or blender until smooth.
6. Add chocolate chips (optional)
7. Preheat oven to bake 350 C
8. Cover whatever pan you are using with parchment paper and pour in batter.
9. Bake for approximately 15 minutes.
Bananas are a tasty substitue for apples.
Consider a little lemon zest to the mix for added flavour